Speeding through the village emerged as the number one problem with 28% of people saying that it was the single most important issue for the Council to tackle. However, it was closely followed by public transport, despite there not being a specific question on it. There were concerns expressed about isolation especially with regard to the elderly but also for the needs of young people to be able to travel in the evening in order to be able to participate in activities that may be based in Dorking.
Over 60% of those anwering the question on speeding said that it was an issue and this figure rises to 80% when people living in cul-de-sacs are excluded. Of the people who were concerned about it, over 90% thought it serious enough to warrant additional measures to address the problem. The main ideas suggested were humps, more electronic signs, cameras, narrowing the carriageway to allow traffic in one direction at a time and more police patrols.
Almost 60% of people were unhappy with the state of the local roads and pavements and many specific examples were given, including Kingsland/Trigg Street and Hogspudding Lane. Around 40% were concerned about the state of verges, ditches or hedges and again several specifics were mentioned including the hedges along Parkgate Road and at the junction of Kingsland and Village Street and ditches in Partridge Lane.
There was a high level of satisfaction with the Council’s recycling service with nearly 60% saying that it isn’t necessary to do more. On the other hand, there were many suggestions from the remaining 40% of extra things that could be collected including plastics, drinks containers, foil, clothing and electrical items. By contrast, three-quarters of people answered the question about more business recycling and over 90% were in favour of encouraging this.
The current level of youth provision was rated moderately with an average score of 2.7 based on a scale of 1 to 5. However there were relatively few suggestions for improvements with the main one being a better evening bus service to allow young people to reach a wider range of events and activities.
Perhaps surprisingly, only 59% of people responding thought cars taking children to school were causing a congestion problem. This is lower than for other villages and may reflect the fact that the population is more spread out. Nevertheless, there was strong support for more options for children to be able to use buses to get to school with six out of every seven backing the idea. The suggestion that schools should get incentives from the County Council to arrange additional transport was also popular with over three-quarters in favour.